We are starting our Heritage Studies this week. 
Looking at the first few lessons, there is a big emphasis on traditional family structure and roles. 
While this may reflect the Biblical example, it does not reflect the actual experiences of several of my students. I am trying to figure out a way to address this in a way that is sensitive not only to my students, but also to their families.

How do you read through a textbook that repeatedly says "a family is supposed to have a husband and wife and children" in such a way that it does not make students feel bad if that is not representative of their own family? They don't choose their family, after all. 
I have a student from a one parent household, a student who's parents are active in the child's life but are separated and live in different states, I have a child whose family doesn't follow traditional gender roles-mom works full time and dad works part time. 
Not all of the families in my classroom are Christians.

Any advice you have for how you have addressed this in your own classroom?
I have a really hard time with the idea of telling a six-year-old that I have known for a week that "It's not your fault, but mommy and daddy are sinners" if they ask what about their family. I can't imagine that would really do much to encourage mom and dad to trust me or encourage them to view what I am teaching their child about faith in a positive light.